We love baptisms! "Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments." (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1213)
- If you wish to have your baby baptized, here are some things to remember...
- First, contact the parish office to schedule a private meeting with our pastor.
- Sponsors (Godparents) do not need to take a class. We have an informative booklet for them.
- At least one Godparent needs to be a practicing Catholic over age 16. They must have received the sacraments of Holy Communion and Confirmation, and leads a life of faith compatible with the duty to be taken on.
- We can help you find Godparents if you don't have anyone available who meets the criteria. A baptized non-Catholic Christian can serve as a "witness" along with a Catholic godparent.
- Baptisms are usually celebrated during a weekend Mass.
- If you wish to have your child (over the age of seven) baptized, the pastor and Children's Faith Formation director will meet with you to determine how to best meet the needs of your child and family. Please contact the parish office.
Adults seeking baptism will probably need to proceed through RCIA with the assumption that their baptism in the Catholic Church signifies their desire to become Catholic as well. This will not only prepare them for baptism, but Confirmation, First Eucharist, and First Reconciliation as well. They should discuss this with the pastor or RCIA Coordinator.
If you would like to baptize your child in another church, or need a letter of "Good Standing" to be a Godparent or Sponsor, please contact the parish office. We will be happy to assist you with this!
Did you know....most Christian baptisms are universally recognized by the Catholic Church!